Sunday, September 11, 2011

What We Believe: Baptism

Jeri Lin says:

I was baptized when I was eight years old by my father. I remember that the water in the baptismal font was cold, but as soon as I came out of the water I felt warm, inside and out. That warm feeling let me know that what I had just done was right.

Baptism is a reminder of our commitment to Jesus Christ. Some may argue that eight is too young, but I knew then and I know now, that I love Jesus Christ. I want to be like Him. I want to return to live with Him. Baptism was my first step toward those goals.

Tony says:

Because my parents raised me in the Church, I was baptized at the age of eight. One of the great regrets of my life is that I don't have any specific memories of being baptized. I
remember that it happened. I remember that a friend was baptized the same day. But as far as specific feelings, I don't remember.

Since then, I have had the opportunity to witness many other people's baptisms. I always counsel them to get a journal and write their feelings and thoughts so they don't forget. Those memories can be sources of great strength when days of doubt or difficulty come.

Since I don't have personal recollections of my baptism, I have to look to other experiences for strength. At the age of twelve we can enter Temples and be baptized for deceased ancestors. I do remember the day when my dad baptized me for his dad. I knew my grandpa, but he died when I was only seven. There is a feeling of peace that accompanies baptisms in the Temple. That day tied my family closer together.

The Temple is how I make up for not remembering my baptism. In behalf of an ancestor, I can make the promises to take upon me the name of Christ, always remember Him, and keep His commandments. In return, He promises to send His Spirit to always be with us. That promise applies to us in this life and in the life to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loves to you for leaving nice comments!