Friday, September 23, 2011

Taco Soup, Among Other Things

My mother-in-law sent us a recipe for Taco Soup a few weeks ago. I made it last night and it was DELICIOUS! Unfortunately, it almost got the best of me. I cooked some fresh beans the day before (black and pinto). I chose to make them fresh rather than buy them canned because we have pounds--literally--of beans from WIC that keep piling up. It was about time we used them.

Now for the fun part where I almost burn the house down and all that jazz...

The first thing you do when you're making taco soup, besides the beans, is sauté a medium onion. So, Little Guy is asleep, I put some olive oil in the pan, turn the stove on and chop my onions. I'm on the phone with Husband and thoroughly distracted by the bad connection and trying to get my message across. I throw the onions in the pan. I'm raising my voice with Husband, frustrated that he's not understanding me. I look up and my apartment is full of smoke. I yell, "I'M BURNING DINNER, BYE!" and hang up on Husband. I turn the stove off. Stupid me...WHY DID I TURN IT ON HIGH?! I have a pan of blazing hot oil, crispy, black onions, and a house full of smoke.

I get a text message from Husband that says, "Love you too." He doesn't understand that dinner is burning and thinks we're having our first fight.

I open the door to get the smoke out before the smoke alarm goes off. My throat is burning. I get Little Boy out of that darn place as quick as I can. I try to call Husband to tell him that I am trying to break family rules a.k.a. kill myself, but he does not answer. I don't understand that his phone is not working. I think we're having our first fight, even though it's a huge misunderstanding.

I finally get the smoke out. Husband shows up and sees that I am not mad at him, just scared of dying. I start attempt number two at Taco Soup. This time I do not turn the stove on high and I do not burn the onion. I add my beans, hamburger meat, a can of stewed tomatoes, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, some frozen corn, and the taco seasoning. Except, go figure, it is not taco seasoning, but is thick'n'zesty spaghetti sauce mix. I am upset. I scoop the mix out of my soup as best I can and go back to the pantry to get my taco seasoning. Except, go figure, there is no taco seasoning, just thick'n'zesty spaghetti sauce mix. I angrily throw the thick'n'zesty spaghetti sauce mix back in the pantry. Husband has to go to the store to get taco seasoning.

In the end, we had yummy taco soup with cheese and chips. Husband is especially a fan and took leftovers for lunch today. I like when he is a fan.

After the dinner fiasco, we went on an adventure to the drive-in movie. It was everybody-gets-a-free-double-feature-night. It was my first time to the drive through. I enjoyed it...poop explosion (minor compared to some, but still in need of a fresh outfit) and all. We saw Pirates 4 and rather enjoyed it. We decided not to stay for Cars 2 because it was a school night, though. Bummer.

Just some fun thoughts:

School was rough this week. It was full speed ahead and you jumped one hurdle just in time to clear the next one, hoping you didn't crash and burn somewhere along the way. I survived, though. I'm pretty sure I passed both tests. I got both projects turned in on time. I studied my tail off. I'm PO Med competent. Next week I get to learn injections. Good thing I have a good buddy who is going to let me poke her. I like my buddy. She makes me laugh and it's fun to have a friend to talk to at school. It's been a while since I've had a school buddy.

Tony forgot that he needed to go straight from seminary to Home Depot today. I felt like a good wife because I realized he didn't have a change of clothes or a dinner or anything so I packed it up and took it to him so that he wouldn't be late to work. He was happy.

It looks like my Christmas wish will come true...moving into a house four times as big as our apartment at a fraction of the cost. You've gotta love couples who go on missions for a year and a half and want you to take care of their house while they're gone.

I'm going to make two-ingredient ice cream tonight without an ice cream machine. I'll let you know how it goes.

I drove all the way to Walmart this afternoon to pick up a prescription and a package of double stuff Oreos and when I got there, I realized I didn't have my wallet. What fun!

My baby needs some love now, so that is all.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on passing off your PO meds! And injections are really fun, it's just difficult to remember all the muscles, so good luck! :) Oh, and I totally make two ingredient ice cream tonight! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On nights like that, I refer to it as "battling dinner." And then I tell my husband that not only did I battle dinner, I defeated it! At least it wasn't an oil fire, I made one of those once.....

    ReplyDelete

Loves to you for leaving nice comments!