Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Sourdough

Husband gets to work with some pretty stellar people at the temple.  Big surprise?  Sybil is the cafeteria manager and we love her!  She spoils Tony.  He calls himself her "garbage disposal."  That means he gets to eat whatever doesn't get eaten and will be thrown out.  He doesn't complain.  She also sends things home for me from time to time.  The latest is a sourdough starter.  I was super excited to give it a try!


When I first started feeding it, it wasn't very active and I was kinda bummed, but I was also persistent.  It only took a few days before it started looking exactly as it should and I was able to bake my first loaf of bread!  Mmmm...it was yummy!



Previous to this, I hadn't had any exposure to sourdough (other than eating it!) and I've learned a lot.  One of the coolest things (I think) is how much variety you can make with your basic sourdough starter.  So far we've tried sourdough waffles and sourdough oatmeal muffins.  The waffles were different from a traditional waffle, but delicious with butter and syrup all the same!  My kids didn't really like the waffles, but they did like the muffins.  They may be the prettiest muffins I've ever made!


Tomorrow we're going to give sourdough pancakes a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loves to you for leaving nice comments!