Friday, April 15, 2016

Rooster Dinner (and a little library update)

For those of you who would rather not read about the rooster killing, here's a happy little update about the library.  We have been listening to "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" in the car all week.  There were a couple of times we had to sit in the garage and listen to one more chapter after returning from running errands.  Hyrum loved the adventures of Ralph S. Mouse!  This afternoon when we went to the library, one of the librarians came up and asked if we would like to take the "Pin the Mouse on the Motorcycle" game home.  They had no need for it anymore and my post on their Facebook page had "made their week!" (I had simply thanked them for putting on such a fun even that inspired my boy and brought reading to life.)  How awesome is it that they recognized me and were so thoughtful??  I love our library!

But really, that rooster!  His name was Nugget.  We bought him as a chick and unfortunately, our aspirations for his *ahem* productive egg production fell through when he began to crow.  He's been crowing for at least a month now.  It's like a loud, obnoxious alarm clock that goes off at 6 a.m., doesn't have a snooze, and doesn't shut off until 7.  He had to go.

We could have found someone to take him, I suppose.  But we paid $3, plus room and board for four months and I didn't want him to get off that easy!  Unfortunately, Tony and I are not very knowledgeable in the chicken killing business, but we do have a Grandpa with some awesome skills.  We roped him into coming and helping.


Hyrum was so excited.  If you had been at our house in the weeks leading up to this, you may have heard him stick his head out the back door and holler "You better be quiet or we're gonna cook you for breakfast!"  He may or may not have picked that up from someone, but it was still hilarious.


After Grandpa cut off the head and the chicken was flapping around Hyrum said "This is awesome!"  Judge me if you want, but I think this made good memories for my kids.  Plus, if the world ever ends and we need dinner, it'll be right out back and they'll know what to do.



The kids weren't interested in plucking the chicken (maybe next time), but Tony helped (until the smell got the better of him and he had to bail).  Yay for my nurse nose that turns off.  I didn't smell a thing.


So my father-in-law and I had some great bonding time as we harvested the drumsticks, thighs, and breasts of that chicken.  By golly, that bird looked a lot bigger with his feathers on.  We probably won't be able to feed our whole family a full meal of chicken, but hey!  The alarm clock is gone and he's gonna taste good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loves to you for leaving nice comments!