Thursday, October 4, 2012

Going Veggie

I can't sleep.  My mind is buzzing.  And on top of that, Husband is snoring his heart out and I can't ask him to roll over because he has a terrible knot in his back and if he doesn't sleep "just so" he's useless the next day.

Personally, I like a useful husband.

Now about the mind buzz...At my community health clinical today we watched the documentary Forks over Knives.  I was fascinated.  They claim that by cutting animal products from your diet, you can decrease significantly, your risk for heart disease, cancer, stroke, etc.  They had sound research to back up their claims.  And yes, by animal products, they mean meat, dairy, eggs, fish...anything (or anything made from anything) that ever had a face or a mother or a father.  This is the closest I've ever come to "buying into" these so-called "perfect" diets.

No I am not going vegan.  I like milk and cheese and eggs.

No I am not going vegetarian.  I like chicken.  I like hot dogs on Fast Sundays.  Husband refuses to give up brisket.

But seriously, is there anything wrong with cutting the amount of meat you eat and increasing the number of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes?  Isn't that what the Word of Wisdom says?

So I borrowed the Forks over Knives books.  They have hundreds of recipes and tips on making the change.  Now, mind you, they want you to cut out dairy and that means eating tofu and other weird things, but I want to try some of their recipes, just modified a bit.

Am I totally crazy?  I think I am.  Husband thinks I am.

It sounds so much more expensive.  So much more time consuming.  It sounds like I'm going to make us eat disgusting stuff like kale and eggplants and other things I don't know how to pronounce.  [I'm only saying disgusting because I've never eaten these things, therefore they must be disgusting, right?]

Change is hard.  I don't like it.  We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. It's really not hard at all. We probably only eat meat three nights a week. You just have to learn how to rethink your meals. I do a lot of pasta loaded with veggies and tossed with olive oil or roasted vegetable over rice. After eating like this for awhile, I actually started missing vegetable when I wasn't getting them often enough and I don't buy into fad diets either.

    And it's actually way cheaper to eat less meat (as long as you aren't buying tofu or premade products, just fruits and vegetables.) Meat is usually the most expensive part of your diet.

    And eggplant is delicious! It gets the best texture when it's roasted, kind of buttery. Eggplant Parmesan is diving. Kale is like very heavy spinach, but it's great combined with mashed potatoes or cut into strips and put in a vegetable soup.

    And you never have to touch raw meat or worry about defrosting something in time, which is a big plus for me.

    ReplyDelete

Loves to you for leaving nice comments!