Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Baby Talk

It is 4:47pm and 8 days postpartum.  I unloaded the dishwasher today and started a load of laundry (I'll have Tony finish it later).  I'm pretty proud of myself.  It's been a long week plus one day.  Maybe writing about it will help...

At 1am on the 19th of April I woke up and realized that my little baby had finally decided they were on their way.  I woke Tony up at about 1:30.  We got ready to go to the hospital, which meant getting dressed and feeding Tony while I said, "We need to go NOW!" every time a contraction came.  We arrived at Banner Gateway at 3am.  I'll spare you the gruesome details about labor and delivery.  Just know that after a couple of hours I decided I wasn't as tough as my mom, I didn't have to prove anything to anyone, and I got an epidural.  Best decision ever.  It gave Tony and I a chance to sleep for a little while.  We were grateful.

Labor and delivery went faster for me than it does for most first-timers.  Hyrum Joseph was born at 10:39am.  He was 8 pounds, 1 ounce, 20.5 inches long.  Tony was supposed to announce to everyone whether it was a boy or girl, but Hyrum decided that he wanted Mom to say, so he hid from Dad and I said, "It's a boy! It's a boy!"  And that's that.

We didn't have a name for our little boy.  It didn't take us long, however, to decide that he was a Hyrum Joseph.  We want him to live an honorable and virtuous life, like Hyrum and Joseph Smith.  Tony thinks he even has the mild and gentle temperament that Hyrum is often said to have had.

We have been blessed with a perfect baby.  Perfectly unperfect but perfect all the same [if that makes any sense].  He is so handsome and so sweet.  He hardly fusses, except for when he's frustrated with breastfeeding, and he calms quickly and easily.  We love to hold him and kiss him and love him.  We love reading scriptures with him and praying with him.  On Monday we had our first Family Home Evening lesson with Hyrum.  Dad taught us about gaining a testimony.  We love being a family and we're especially grateful that Tony and I were married in the temple so that Hyrum is sealed to us for time and all eternity.

I [aka: Jeri Lin, Mom] have had some major adjusting to do.  I have a new found appreciation for my mom and every other mom in the world.  Being a mom is really hard.  I also know that's it's supposed to be hard and it's ok that it's hard.  Besides the lack of sleep that has worn me out, my aching back, and my disheveled appearance, I have struggled with what I deem a "major case of the baby blues."  I have good days and bad days and really bad days.  I cry a lot, sometimes with a reason, sometimes not.  It took a week for my appetite to be mostly normal.  It's been kinda rough, but it has helped me gain a greater testimony of the Priesthood.  I love my husband more than I ever have.  My mom is the best mom ever.  That's all.

Here are a few of our favorite pictures of Hyrum.  Enjoy him.  We do.


5 comments:

  1. I love that name!!! And he is so so cute!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeri Lin, I've never met you, but Richard was at your wedding, and we sure like Tony. Congratulations on little Hyrum; he sure is a cute one! Welcome to motherhood, it definitely is a huge adjustment. But, as you know, it will get easier! Having had two kids now, I would say the first six weeks are the hardest. But, the time really does fly by and soon you will be asking yourself where your little baby went! So, enjoy every day! My mom gave me some great advice when we had Marshall. She told me as long as you say your prayers, read your scriptures, and take care of your baby your day has been a success. I know you know all of these things, but man, I have clung to that advice and it sure has helped! Enjoy little Hyrum, and again, a big congratulations to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so happy for you guys and he is adorable. It is not an easy task (being a mom) however at times it is so rewarding (I say at times because so much of being a mom is thankless). You will be a fabulous mom just like the fabulous mom that raised you. The sleepless nights and the constant care will get better as he gets older but don't wish for those days and miss out on this baby stage time flies by and he will be grown in a blink of an eye! Congrats again and I love you lots! Good luck and ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWWW he is so so precious!!! Congrats! I am sure you are an awesome, loving mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linny! aka momma, i love reading your blog and I'm seriously so happy for you! Your baby boy is incredibly handsome and he is so lucky to be born into a family as strong in the gospel as yours. I love the name you two picked out...it's a name he can be proud of his entire life. Love you and glad everything is going great!

    ReplyDelete

Loves to you for leaving nice comments!