Monday, June 13, 2016

Summer Reading and Book Club

You may have heard, "You've got to be kidding me!" burst from my five year old when I explained that we are going to read for at least three hours every week this summer to meet the summer reading requirements. 

Despite this outward show, this boy will sit and read with me for 45 minutes or more if you have the right books. This is the boy who loves "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" and "Hank the Cowdog." This is the boy who can't wait to read on his own (and he's learning!). 

But, yes. We love the library. We love summer reading programs, extra trips for extra books, and the juvenile nonfiction section that teaches us something new everyday. 



Even if trips can be a little stressful with three little bitties, it's worth it to me, because I am determined to raise readers!


P.S. I'm thinking about hosting a book club for young elementary kids (ages 5-8 approximately) when the school year starts up. It would be one day a week, or every other week, after school. The kids could share a book they read recently. We would also talk about characters, narrative vs. informative writing, etc. It sounds intense, but it would be pretty laid back and fun. Anyone interested?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loves to you for leaving nice comments!