Monday, October 27, 2014

Luna Trip

Every Labor Day weekend, the Gibbons family gathers at the head of the ditch in Luna, New Mexico.  I hadn't thought much about it until my sister mentioned going that weekend.  All of a sudden, all I could think about was how much I wanted to be there.  Husband had to work, but it was only a 12 hour drive.  Surely the kids and I could do that, right?  For two days in the mountains?  With my family? 

I set my mind to it.  We were going.

Husband thought that maybe he should take some time off and go along.  He didn't like the idea of us driving across two states by ourselves.  He was probably right.

I drove most of the way.  Tony can't drive at night if his life depends on it.  He just gets too dang sleepy.  Trouble was, he couldn't sleep while I was driving because every little bump in the road made him jump.  Whenever I swerved to miss a bunny (which was ridiculously often) he would wake up saying, "Are you ok?"  So, when he did drive, I had to stay awake to keep him awake.  Bleh!  It made for a rough drive, but we made it by morning and then of course I was too excited to be there to sleep!

My mom and the kids arrived later that day.  We hadn't told them we were coming, so it was a surprise.  My mom's first response was "You punk!"  I loved just being able to be with her for a short while.  I miss that mother of mine.

The kids had fun playing with my cousins and with Anzlie, the other great-grandchild of the bunch.  There was plenty of dirt, mud, a creek, crawdads, and ring pops (supplied by Grams and Papa, of course).  We ate lots of yummy food, enjoyed cooler weather, and just plain had a good time.  

Now, next year we have to go again for Grams and Papa's 50th anniversary!  Woohoo!  Hooray for a wonderful example of love and dedication to family!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Loves to you for leaving nice comments!